Saturday, December 6, 2008

Pneumonia

After 3 days of a high fever I decided to take Joseph to the Dr. I don't particularly like Doctors, but knew that something was very wrong with him. Not wanting to load up all my children and drive an hour to Nocona to see my brother in law, I just went to an urgent care clinic here in town. They informed me that he was very congested in his chest, yet he hadn't coughed once. They took his temperature ( 104) and took ex rays. The Dr. told me that it looked like it was just bronchitis, that I needed to push the fluids, he then gave jojo a shot and sent us on our way. Do you know what it is like to try and force feed a little boy who doesn't feel good and doesn't want to eat and drink?
That night was terrible. Rich was working over time, so I put him in bed with me. I could tell that he was struggling to breathe and he moaned most of the night. I decided to take him to see Brent ( my bro in law). I trust him more than any other medical professional. I knew that he would do all that he could to find out what was wrong and treat him as well.
Upon arriving he noticed that Joseph was severely dehydrated, and also that he was struggling to breathe as well as lots of chest congestion. What he needed the most right away was fluids. We initially tried to start an I.V in the clinic, but he was so dehydrated that the nurse could not get into a vein. Poor thing was so sick he didn't even move, just screamed.
Brent sent us over to the hospital. where they are a little better at little dehydrated veins. While doing their regular routine checks, they noticed that Josephs oxygen levels where low. It was then decided that he needed much more than just fluids.
After a total of 8 sticks, and 3 sites blown, they decided to call the anaesthesiologist for help. By then Joseph had had it and was fighting quite a bit. He offered to give him something to relax him so he wouldn't squirm. He took his time looking, making sure that he would get it on his first stick. Sure enough, with Jojo loopy, and almost unresponsive he got it in the top of his hand the first try.
They rest of the day was quiet. They treated Joseph with fluids, strong antibiotics, and oxygen. Joseph was so sick and so worn out that he just slept. Later that evening the urgent care clinic called Rich at home and said that they had just read the ex ray film ( 28 hours later) and said that Joseph had a pretty bad case of Pneumonia and that we should take him to the hospital to be treated. Oooooh, I was mad! I should have gone to Brent in the first place.
After the first day, Joseph decided that he no longer needed the I.V, so he yanked it out and bled all over the bed. He was feeling a little better by now, so a little bit of his turdy side was starting to shine through. Treatment wasn't finished, ( he was so dehydrated that he didn't even urinate for over 24 hours with the I.V ) He still needed LOTS of fluids, more meds, and so a new site had to be found. By now he was hydrated enough that finding a nice plump vein wasn't quite as hard. This time, it went in the foot.
Much of the rest of our stay was very boring and uneventful. We were both miserable, couldn't sleep, and confined to a small room with nothing to do. He is home now and doing much better. I am so grateful for my brother in law, and modern medicine. I know that with the level of dehydration he had, and what little oxygen he was receiving, he wouldn't have made it very long.
There is nothing worse than a sick child and nothing you can do to make them better.
( Unless you wake up sick, come home to more sick children, and a house that has been completely destroyed in your absence! That my friend, is a story for another blog)
My Very sick Baby.
Poor Joseph. Almost all the fight had left him, until they came at him with a needle. After being poked several time, they called the anaesthesiologist ( who was a pro!!). He offered to give him something to help him relax so we could get an I.V Started. Here he is very drugged and almost unresponsive.

After yanking his I.V out of his hand and bleeding all over his bed, we had to start all over again. This time in his foot because most of the good veins were blown on the 8 times they initially tried on his first I.V


Joseph finally feels a little better and Uncle Brent says we can go home.



2 comments:

janie said...

Ohhh, Jo JO is soooooo cute even when he is sick! Love you guys!!

Tammy said...

man he is so BIG! That is seriously sad and scary. poor thing. I am glad he is doing better! Who watched your kiddos while you were gone?