Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Insight

I love those quiet moments when the spirit impresses something upon your mind. I've been contemplating my ways of raising my children and teaching them the gospel and how I can better instill a love and testimony of God and his plan of salvation. I came across the scripture
D&C 29: 46, 47 .... Little children....cannot sin, for power is not given unto Satan to tempt little children, until they begin to become accountable before me:
I've always understood that children are most impressionable before they are 8, but a new thought crept into my mind that helped me better understand my place in teaching them.
"During this early age, the Lord, by controlling Satan, gives parents a special advantage in guiding and training their children without interference from the evil one."
I never thought that I may have an advantage.... with NO interference from the adversary. I then had the image of a basketball game, where I was allowed to shoot and score as many points as I could in the first 8 minutes without the opposite team hindering my progress. How could we not win the game when we are so far ahead, before our opponent even enters the picture.
What and advantage I have; What a great responsibility that I have, and a better knowledge and understanding to back it up.
Before they are 8 they are not accountable..... But I am. My only hope is that I can help them score enough points before our greatest opponent is allowed to join the game.

2 comments:

Tara Green said...

what a great perspective! i never thought of it that way.

Frecklelilred said...

Hi Sarah! I just added your blog to my blog list. Thanks for this post. You are such a good example!

xoxoxo! Becky